The Eyes of a Champion

eyes1

Wrestler Zach Horan.

Zach Horan is the driving force behind this year’s version of Central Michigan University’s premier varsity athletic programs: Wrestling.

Earning national rankings in his weight class and striking fear into the hearts of his Mid-American Conference opponents along the way, Horan has become the Chippewas undisputed leader both on and off the mat.

You've been at CMU for three years now, what is it that makes this wrestling program so respected in the MAC?

Zach Horan: "It's the expectations that we have. You're always expected to be ranked, always expected to perform against top ten teams. We're not supposed to take a back seat to anyone. If we have 10 seniors, or 10 freshmen, we're expected to get the same results."

What do you love about the sport of wrestling?

Horan: "Winning. There's nothing like winning a match."

Do you stare down your opponent before you wrestle?

Horan: "There's a lot more that I am focused on than that, but if my (opponent) is looking me in the eyes, I am not going to look away."

How do you strike fear in your opponent?

Horan: "The first time I put my hand on him, I want him to feel it. I want him to know I am ready."

Do you rely more on a psychological or physical edge?

Horan: "I have a really good match strategy. I am good at winning matches, I've been doing it for a long time. Psychologically, I have an edge and I always feel that I can match them physically."

How does coach Borrelli inspire you and the other wrestlers?

Horan: "He's always telling us he wants National Champions, wants All-Americans. Then you see his history, the guys he's coached ... Why shouldn't that be us?"

As a veteran on the team, do you find it rewarding to help younger wrestlers?

Horan: "I've noticed it more and more this year. I don't know if it's rewarding just yet. In the future I'll look back at it, and get a little more out of it."

Are you more of a vocal leader, or do you lead by example?

Horan: "Example. I have a hard time putting myself above my teammates, thinking I should be the one to tell them what to do. I am starting to realize that's who they need me to be, though."

How much responsibility do you take for this teams success or failure?

Horan: "A lot. For this team to do well, I have to perform. The guys around me need to do well. Last weekend, (against Missouri) I had a big win against a top ten guy, but the team still lost. On the bus ride back my parents called me, telling me how proud they are of me and I am like 'I feel terrible, we got our butt's kicked.' I won, but seven other guys lost."

How does this year's team compare to some of the others in the past?

Horan: "This team reminds me a lot of my first year. We had three or four guys that had never started that year. Now we have eight or nine guys that haven't started, so it reminds me of my freshman year."

Why did you choose CMU over a bigger school?

Horan: "I liked coach Borrelli a lot. Some of the other coaches were salesmen, trying to tell you what they think you want to hear. Borrelli was honest, and straight forward. He didn't try to feed me any B.S."

What are your relationships like with your teammates?

Horan: "I am a lot closer to the guys in the class than I am with the younger guys. I try to not to be as much of a 'buddy' with them. I want them to think of me as a teammate more than a friend."

What is the ultimate goal for this team this season, and what is your No. 1 career goal?

Horan: "Finishing in the top two of the conference, it's tough with Missouri in there. I want to keep the All-American streak going, and qualify at least five-to-eight of our guys in the National Tournament. If we get that many guys in the tournament, we're having a successful post-season."