Horan leads trio of wrestlers to NCAA Championships

horan
Pennsylvania junior Zach Horan grapples with his opponent during the Chippewas match against Old Dominion on Feb. 10 in McGuirk Arena.

The regular season is over for the Central Michigan University wrestling team.

For  Zach Horan, Colin Heffernan and Jordan Ellingwood the most important competition of the season is still in front of them.

The trio will represent CMU in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament from Thursday, March 19 to Saturday, March 21 in St. Louis, Mo. 

Horan, who won the 141-pound Mid-American Conference title during Spring Break, is seeded 10th in his weight class, and is set to take on Arizona State University's Matthew Kraus.

Horan was the No. 1 seed during the MAC tournament, and defeated Old Dominion's Chris Mecate for the league’s title. It was the second conference crown of Horan's career.

This will mark the third trip to the NCAA tournament for Horan and the first for Heffernan and Ellingwood.

Heffernan placed fifth in the 149-pound weight class during the MAC meet. He will wrestle Gabe Moreno of Iowa State University. The CMU freshman is 20-10 overall this season, and 12-3 in tournament competition.

Ellingwood placed third in the 174-pound weight class in the MAC tournament. He will open against Blaise Butler from the University of Virginia in the first round.