One killed, seven injured in vehicle accident

A two-vehicle traffic crash resulted at the death of one man and seven injuries at the intersection of South Summerton Road and East Broadway Road.

An initial investigation found a south-bound vehicle driven by a 31-year-old Virginia man failed to stop at a flashing red light. His vehicle went into the path of an east bound taxi van which struck the south-bound vehicle in the passenger door, around 1:47 a.m. Friday morning.

A 26-year-old passenger from Virginia was killed at the scene. The taxi was occupied by the driver and five other persons. The driver was a 28-year-old from Mount Pleasant.

The passengers were a 22-year-old man, a 22-year-old woman, two 24-year-old women and one 50-year-old man. None of the passengers were wearing seat belts and all received varying degrees of injuries that required them to be transported to McLaren Central Michigan Hospital for treatment.

At the time of the crash, the taxi was taking the passengers to the Soaring Eagle Casino.

Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash. The investigation is ongoing and once completed it will be forwarded to the Isabella County Prosecutors Office for consideration of criminal charges.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →