#NASHSTRONG blood drive unites students

main_blood
Phlebotomist Ben Ramos prepares Maccomb County sophomore Jac Ewasyshyn for drawing blood on March 31, at the Maroon Room in the Bovee University Center.

Central Michigan University students filled the Bovee University Center’s Maroon and Gold room Tuesday to show support for a fellow Chippewa.

Michigan Blood, along with Honors Outreach Network, presented the #NASHSTRONG Diversity Blood Drive in honor of  freshman football player Derrick NashNash is battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and has received many blood transfusions.

For every person that to donated blood, Michigan Blood gave $10 to  Derrick Nash Fund to help with Nash’s medical expenses.

Tamar Chipp, who is the community relations coordinator for Michigan Blood, stressed the importance of diversity when it comes to giving blood.

“We are looking to invite all people of different backgrounds to donate blood, mostly because through research we found that the best match for a patient who needs regular blood transfusions may come from a donor of the same ethnic background,” Chipp said. “It is vital that the community blood supply reflects the diversity of our community.

Nash’s story inspired some students to donate blood for the first time. Cincinnati junior Ronald Mixon said he overcame his anxiety and took pride in participating in a good cause.

“I was a little nervous at first because I’m not really a needle person,” Mixon said. “Anytime I can give back to someone who’s in an unfortunate situation, I’m always down for the cause.”

Lansing freshman Spencer Lebel is a part of HON and said he was pleased with the support of the CMU community, whether they were donating blood or time.

“I think this displays the strong sense of community CMU has,” Lebel said. “It was great because we had a lot of volunteers both from HON and outside of HON.”

Michigan Blood collects blood and makes sure it stays in the state to help those in need. They provide blood for more than 40 hospitals throughout the state.

Michigan Blood consultant Karalee McKinstry said the turnout of CMU students was because of Nash’s story.

“When we reached out to the community, there was an overwhelming response of concern for Derrick, and also a ton of people who were inspired by his story and his courage,” McKinstry said. “There are many people who are donating because of his strength and who he is on CMU’s campus as a champion.”