Softball splits doubleheader with Northern Illinois

2_softballl

Indianapolis senior Trista Cox gets ready to bat against Kent State April 19 in Margo Jonker Stadium.

Three home runs from Katelyn Rentschler’s led the Central Michigan University softball team in the final road trip of the season.

Rentschler was 8-for-11 at the plate with six runs scoed during the team’s time away from Mount Pleasant.

CMU opened the trip with a sweep of instate rival Western Michigan University and split the series against Northern Illinois University to move to 22-19 on the season and 10-3 in away games.

SUNDAY

Hitting was hard to come by in the opening game of the series against NIU as sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp was outdueled by Jessica Sturm in a game featuring only five hits.

Knapp gave up a leadoff walk in the bottom of the second inning and was punished for the mistake when Hecht hit a two-out double into right field to score a run. The Huskies added another run after a throwing error from Knapp.

The Chippewa bats were almost completely silenced by Sturm, who allowed only two hits and struck out six batters in the 2-1 win, but Rentschler got the better of the Kansas-native, knocking in her tenth home run of the year in the top for the fourth inning.

Game two saw an offensive explosion from both teams in a 10-7 win for CMU.

The Chippewas scored four runs in the opening two innings, highlighted by a single from Senior Kristen Kuhlman forced in two runs.

The Huskies responded with a four-run third inning. Freshman pitcher Hanna Warren gave up a leadoff triple, and proceeded to give up a run and load the bases. The Canton-native gave up three runs before being replaced by Knapp.

Senior shortstop Trista Cox gave the Chippewas another big inning, hitting a three-run bomb out to center field. Senior Karly Hansen closed out the inning with a two-run double to center field, putting CMU up 9-4.

Knapp pitched the rest of the game in relief giving up three runs in 4.2 innings pitched.

FRIDAY

CMU started the team’s final road trip of the regular season with a series sweep of Western Michigan University.

Rentschler stared for the Chippewas hitting two home runs and driving in three runs in the two-game series.

CMU got off to a fast start, forcing a WMU pitching change only two innings into game one. Knapp was strong in the circle once again allowing only five hits and one run, leading the Chippewas to a 10-1, complete-game victory.

Game two saw Warren getting the start in the circle. The freshman pitched five innings, giving up three runs and striking out five batters.

The Chippewas trailed for the opening innings of the game after the Broncos score two runs off of two hits in the bottom of the first.

CMU took a 3-2 lead in the top of the fourth following a fielders choice and a throwing error.

The Chippewas took the lead for good in the top of the fifth when Rentschler hit a sacrifice fly out to right field that scored Cox and gave CMU a 4-3 lead.

Knapp came in relief in the bottom of the sixth and struck out four of the six batters she faced to earn her fourth save of the season.

UP NEXT

CMU will play the team’s final nonconference game against Michigan State on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. The Chippewas are 3-2 in their last five meetings with the Spartans who will be coming into Mount Pleasant with a 4-14 road recor

d.