Students prepare for spring turkey season

Students can shake off cabin fever by sighting in their shotguns, tuning their bows and practicing their calling techniques for Michigan's annual spring turkey season.

Season one runs April 20-26, and season two and three run from April 27 to May 31. 

Mason junior Luke Schunk said spring turkey season is a special time of year, a time where chasing birds is the life and the sound of gobbling gets his blood pumping.

“When they are going to start coming down, breaking branches and landing in front of you, you know what you’re out there (to do),” Schunk said.

The Eastern Wild Turkey, the sub-species hunted, was nearly extinct due to European settlers prior to 1905, according to the Department of Natural Resources. In 1937, with the help of conservationists and hunters, the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act helped protect turkeys from harvest in Michigan. This act allows the harvest of only one bearded turkey per hunter.

“The Michigan restoration of wild turkeys in Michigan and the United States is a wildlife management success story of major significance,” said Al Stewart, DNR upland game bird specialist. “Michigan has been ranked in the Top 10 in the nation for turkey harvest on an annual basis by the National Wild Turkey Federation."

Hunters may use a bow, crossbow, shotgun or muzzleloader to harvest their bird. The most commonly used method of harvest is a shotgun, according to the DNR.

According to the Michigan Spring Turkey Digest, turkey hunting is a challenging, interactive activity that is best shared with others.

Livonia junior Josh Atkins said he will hunt in Crawford County this year near Vanderbilt. After a discouraging fall turkey season, Atkins said he is excited to get back into the woods. 

Atkins will use a shotgun this year, several decoys and a call to bring a bird close enough to harvest.

“It was frustrating putting all that time in, sitting in the cold and coming up empty handed at the end of the day,” Atkins said. “I look forward to getting out in the fresh air and harvesting a turkey. It will restore my confidence.”

A base license is required for every resident and nonresident who hunts in Michigan. Hunters may purchase their spring turkey license only after they have obtained a base license for the year.

Hunting Methods 

• Hunters can use a bow and arrow, a crossbow, a firearm that fires a fixed shotgun shell, or a muzzleloading shotgun. 
  • Crossbow hunters can only use arrows, bolts and quarrels at least 14 inches in length, tipped with a broadhead point at least 7/8 inch wide. 
  • It is illegal to use or carry afield any other firearm. The prohibition on carrying any other type of firearm does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license, or under a specific exception from the CPL requirement.
  • When taking wild turkey, hunters can't use or carry any ammunition except shotgun shells.
  • Non-toxic shot is recommended for hunting wild turkey. Hunters may hunt turkeys from a tree using a bow and arrow or crossbow. 
  • It is illegal to use or possess electronic devices that imitate wild turkey calls.

Source: Michigan Spring Turkey Digest