Paddle and Pick Summer Concert Series to take place Friday

metro

With a dream combining his business and passion for music, Bob Busch started a new musical tradition at Buckley's Mountainside Canoe.

Usually a place to rent canoes and kayaks to take down the Chippewa River, the shop will become a venue for the third annual Paddle and Pick Summer Concert Series which will take place at 8 p.m. Friday at Buckley's.

"We got the idea because I used to be a musician and I wanted a place where my friends and other bands would come and play and I could watch," Busch said. "So, I started a venue where that could happen and called it the Pick and Paddle. Open Range is performing Friday. They're a family band that plays country music."

Participants can arrive at Buckley's Mountainside Canoe at 6 p.m. to canoe down the Chippewa River and be driven back to the the venue to enjoy music. Guests can also get to the concert by land. 

Paddlers have the option of canoeing or kayaking down two different routes. The first route is School Road, which is $21 for a kayak and $38 a canoe. It is a 2-3 hour trip. The second route is River Road, which is $18 for a kayak and $32 for a canoe, a 1-2 hour trip. Music will start at 8 p.m. and the concert costs $5. 

Busch said the concerts will take place every other Friday.

Other performances Buckley's will host are the Mud Puppies, a roots rock band, Whistle Stop Review, a bluegrass band and East Blues Ensemble, a jazz band.