Summer Festival a favorite among community

A family laughs on a ride during the 2015 Mount Pleasant Summer Festival.

The community welcomed Mount Pleasant's 31st Summer Festival this weekend at Island Park.

Residents enjoyed various vendors, amusement rides, carnival games and live music. 

The Summer Festival kicked off Thursday and continued Friday with a parade put on by the city starting and ending at Sacred Heart Church. Joe Hathaway, a 13-year-old from Mount Pleasant, said he and his friends watch the parade every year.

“It’s just something we picked up doing as a group,” Hathaway said. “I live down the road so I just walked over here. I’m excited for the fireworks; that’s my favorite part of the festival.”

The parade featured several trucks, local businesses and Isabella County Royalty.

The festivities continued Saturday with families spending time together by playing carnival games and riding amusement park rides. Joan Mills moved to Mount Pleasant two years ago and has been to the Summer Festival each year with her grandson Dakoda.

“I moved here to be closer to my mom who lives here,” Mills said. "This is something I enjoy doing with my grandson."

Dakoda, 4, said his favorite ride is the Spinning Strawberries.

“I like how fast they go,” he said. “I love going in that one,” he said as he pointed to one of the rides. 

For others the summer festival is an event to catch up with friends. Joce’lyn and Hannah Fleming, 10, said they go to the summer festival every year with their friend Arieanna Foster and take part in festivities all weekend.

“I can’t wait for the fireworks tonight. My family sets up camp by the river and we watch them together,” Joce’lyn said.

Hannah said she live down the road from Island Park. They said they come back everyday for the rides.

“My favorite ride is the Hurricane,” Hannah said. 

Summer Festival will wrap up Sunday with a car show.