Comeback to Huskers falls short in 2 OT, soccer downed 4-3

img_0413edit

Freshman forward Madison Pogarch dekes a defender Aug. 13 in an exhibition game against Michigan State.

Though they overcame a 3-0 deficit in the second half, Central Michigan University’s soccer team fell 4-3 in two overtimes to Nebraska at Hibner Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After a pair of double overtime games in a row, CMU’s record moves to 0-1-1.

Signs of offensive struggle against the Big Ten opponent were evident early, culminating with a lack of offensive chances in the first half.

After leading much of the first half 2-0, the Cornhuskers tacked on an insurance goal midway through the second half to go up three, but CMU would go on to make a sizable dent in the Nebraska lead.

Bringing the Chippewas to within a goal in the span of roughly a minute late in the second half were senior midfielders Kaeyln Korte and Samantha Maher.

Korte booted her goal in the 76th minute and Maher followed one minute later in the 77th minute for her first goal of the season.

In the final moments of regulation, sophomore defender Lauren Sherry scored the tying goal off of a throw-in from 20 yards away, forcing overtime.

Nebraska was eventually able to score the winning goal in the 107th minute of play after having a consistently heavy presence in CMU’s defensive zone to start the second overtime period.

The team had 10 shots, five of which were on goal. They also committed 10 fouls in the loss.

In the net and making her first start of the year was freshman goalkeeper Zoie Reed, who made seven saves and faced 18 shots from the Cornhuskers in the losing effort.

The Chippewas will remain in Nebraska for the team’s next match against Creighton University at 2 p.m. on Sunday.