Soccer earns double-overtime draw in opening match versus Oakland

img_0393edit

Junior midfielder Samantha Maher dribbles the ball Aug. 13 in a scrimmage against Michigan State University. Maher scored Sunday against Oakland University in the 2-2 draw.

It its first regular season competition of 2015, CMU soccer tied Oakland University 2-2 after two overtime periods on Sunday afternoon at the Oakland Soccer Field.

The match was delayed moments before the first overtime when the Rochester weather siren rang, alerting fans and the team to head for cover, but it eventually would continue after a brief break in the action.

In a physical contest that saw two Chippewas receive yellow cards, CMU surrendered the opening goal of the match in the 12th minute, but it did not trail for long in the first half.

Freshman forward Alexis Pelafas and junior midfielder Samantha Maher supplied all of the scoring for the Chippewas within two-and-a-half minutes of play.

Pelafas’ goal came at 18:47 while Maher scored 21:05 in. 

CMU remained on top for a majority of the match until a CMU penalty in the box gave the Golden Grizzlies a penalty kick, in which they took advantage of.

OU's goal off the penalty kick during the 76th minute tied it 2-2. The ball glanced off of junior goalkeeper Maddy Bunnell’s fingertips and into the back of the net.

Despite allowing two goals, Bunnell made 11 saves on the afternoon.

In total, the Chippewas had 13 shots, seven of which were on goal, while OU was slightly less accurate, with 13 of its 21 total shots were on goal.

CMU will look for its first win of the season at 8 p.m. Friday  against the University of Nebraska from Barbara Hibner Stadium in Lincoln, Neb.