Football player charged with retail fraud will be sentenced Friday

10461810

Connor Collins

A member of the Central Michigan football team arrested for retail fraud in July will be sentenced on Friday, Sept. 18 in Isabella County Trial Court

Connor Collins, a junior offensive lineman, and a friend attempted to steal a grill and clothing items worth $101.47 from Walmart, according to court records. The crime is misdemeanor that carries a $500 fine and/or 93 days in jail. 

According to the police report, Collins was with a friend when he went to Walmart and placed items in his shopping cart. When finished, the two headed to the self-checkout lines. They grabbed all the items from the cart, except the grill. Then, the pair walked toward the lawn and garden section, when Collins' friend grabbed a men's swimsuit, hanging them on the edge of the cart. They purchased propane for the grill, but then passed all points of sale with the grill and swimsuit still not paid for. 

The police report says the two decided to "push their luck" to see if they got caught instead of returning to the store to pay for their items. 

A fine of three times the value of the stolen property can also be imposed.

Collins is listed on the football roster but is out on a medical hardship, said Rob Wyman, assistant athletics director for communications. Collins does not currently practice with the team.

Sports Editor Taylor DesOrmeau contributed to this post.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →