EDITORIAL: Be there on gameday

editorial

File Photo

Central Michigan University students fill the student section up to the top on gameday in support of the football team at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

A growing sense of anticipation, crowded tailgate tents and the vibrant glow of maroon and gold jerseys under the lights at Kelly/Shorts Shorts Stadium signal the return of Central Michigan University football on Thursday.

If you don't go to CMU's season-opener against Oklahoma State you are missing out.

Passionate new head coach John Bonamego, a man who delivers pizza to the residence halls and beats cancer, has renewed a sense of optimism that will make this the year to be in the student section on gameday.

Things will be tough on the field this season. CMU's schedule is absolutely brutal, facing Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Michigan State in a span of four weeks.

Bonamego has been tested, his battle with both enduring daily radiation treatments and implementing his brand of football in his first year as head coach is a testament to his willpower. What he hasn't proven is his ability to turn around the program, which has struggled since previous Head Coach Dan Enos made CMU football synonymous with mediocrity.

Still, anything above an average record would be a major accomplishment, especially after losing key players to graduation and injury.

At the same time, this could be the year junior quarterback Cooper Rush hits his stride and leads the offense with confidence after a promising sophomore season. On the other side of the ball, CMU's defensive line looks to be the strongest in years.

Wouldn’t it be amazing to be a part of what could be the first of many years of success? Wouldn't it be amazing to remember the day it all turned around?

The previous lack of attendance at football games can also be attributed to a fan base rejecting the leadership of that program. Bonamego has a chance to turn that around and has already done an impressive job of engaging students at the university and trying to build the football culture here.

The Athletics Department has tried to meet students halfway. Athletics officials told Central Michigan Life last year that student participation strategies were implemented to improve the game-day experience, adding more promotions and giveaways to involve students.

The student section was also moved behind the home bench, connecting students to the action on the field. That connection can often be the inspiration for big plays, especially when the crowd gets loud.

CMU was 3-3 at home last season but was close in most games, being outscored 130-127 overall. More students backing up their team in the stands could have made the difference in some of those games.

Don't let that happen this year. Be there as the Bonamego era begins.

Be there on gameday.