Buffalo 3, Central Michigan 2

Sophomore Jordan Bueter spikes the volleyball towards two Buffalo defenders during a match on Saturday, Oct. 24 at McGuirk Arena. 

There were tons of momentum swings in tonight’s volleyball match between Central Michigan and Buffalo, but UB would get the last run, taking the match 3-2.

Both teams capitalized on mistakes, and both squads found ways to fight off runs. Buffalo pulled off the upset and is now 5-17 overall, and 4-6 in the Mid-American Conference. With the loss, CMU falls to 10-13 overall, and 5-5 in MAC play. 

How it happened:

The Bulls ran off four-straight points to take a 13-9 lead in the fifth set. CMU answered and cut the deficit to 13-12, but UB ended the match with a kill, followed a game-clinching block to win 15-13.

Looking at a possible 3-1 loss, the Chippewas rallied in set four and used a quick start to win the set 25-18, forcing the fifth and deciding set.

Buffalo escaped a thrilling third set where there were seven set-point chances between the two teams. A service error late by CMU’s Kathia Sanchez allowed the Bulls to capture the edge and grabbed the 30-28 win.

CMU started the match with a 25-20 win over the Bulls thanks to a few key errors made by UB. After the Chippewas rallied to take a 21-20 lead in the second set, UB remained calm, and finished the set with back-to-back blocks to win 25-23 tying the match at 1-1.

What it means:

The Chippewas played in their seventh fifth-set match Saturday, already the most in a season than the past two campaigns. With so many close matches already under its belt, CMU can say it is battled-tested moving forward as the schedule gets tougher.

The Chippewas didn't move down in the MAC west with the loss, but CMU is now tied for third place with Ball State. 

Looking forward:

The Chippewas will look to avenge early-season losses to Western Michigan and Northern Illinois next weekend. CMU hosts the Broncos on Friday, Oct. 30, and then the Huskies on Halloween. Both games start at 7 p.m., and can been seen on ESPN3.