Refugee crisis sparks meaningful conversation in Speak Up Speak Out forum

k6a3857

The Central Michigan University student forum, Speak Up Speak Out, held a panel with Dr. Prakash Adhikari, Dr. Maureen Eke, Kristine van Noord and Mallory Walton to speak about meeting the challenge of refugee crises in the Charles v. Park Library Auditorium on Thursday, Nov. 19.

On Thursday night the Charles V. Park Library auditorium was filled to capacity as students and faculty members attended the Speak Up, Speak Out forum “Life Interrupted: Meeting the Challenge of Refugee Crises.” Although the event was planned six months ago, with millions of Syrian refugees now seeking asylum, the topic is more relevant than ever.

“It did not suddenly become an issue on Friday, and even if ISIS were destroyed tomorrow it would continue to be an issue,” said Dr. Ted Clayton, event facilitator and political science professor.

Recently, the nation has been debating whether or not refugees should be allowed into the United States. The forum discussed what it means to be a refugee and the condition of America’s immigration policy.

Videos were shown to introduce the topic before the floor opened for discussion. A question and answer session was held with a group of panelists.

“I think it’s our responsibility as capable human beings in a developed country to help these people,” said panelist Mallory Walton, a graduate and a political science graduate assistant. 

Many countries are hesitant to open their borders to Syrian refugees due to fear of terrorist attacks, but out of the hundreds of thousands of refugees that have been allowed into the United States, not one has committed an act of terror.

The screening process for a refugee to enter the United States is a long and intense one, lasting a minimum of 200 days. Refugees must submit DNA and fingerprints as well as go through multiple interviews with the FBI and Homeland Security. If anything expires or a refugee has a baby during the process, they must begin the process all over again.

“There are things that we can do as college students to help,” said Tiffany Smrtnik.

The Lake Orion junior will be doing volunteer work at a refugee and immigrant development program in Decatur, Georgia as part of Central Michigan University's Alternative Winter Break program. 

“Even if you don’t have money, you can do an internship or volunteer," she said.

While some say that allowing refugees into the country will damage our economy, panelists said that the opposite is true — refugees join the workforce and pay taxes, and many start their own businesses.

“I think it’s important that we’re aware of these things going on in the world, especially since the U.S. is getting involved in Syria,” said Grand Rapids senior Julie Braam. “It’s just responsible to be knowledgeable about it.”