This week in crime: Jan. 19-25

police

Central Michigan University Police arrived at Emmons Hall on Saturday night after staff called about a potentially suicidal student. 

The 20 year-old man went voluntarily to the hospital after police arrived.

Police responded to another call at Emmons Hall earlier that evening. 

A 19 year-old male student called police after taking prescription medication belonging to someone else. Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said the drugs were apparently not stolen, but given willingly to the student. Police are still investigating to determine who the drugs belonged to. Wassman said if the owner shared the medication willingly, they could be brought up on criminal charges.

CMUPD is investigating a case of third degree criminal sexual conduct that occurred at midnight on Friday in Wheeler Hall. Wassman said no further information can be released at this time, though the investigation is still open.

An airsoft gun was found in the room of an 18 year-old male student in Cobb Hall Friday afternoon. The weapon was confiscated by CMU police. While the possession of airsoft guns on campus is not a criminal act in Michigan, it does violate the university's weapons policy. The student was reported to the Office of Student Conduct.

Police arrived at Cobb Hall early Friday morning after staff reported smelling marijuana in the building. No drugs were found in the building. However, paraphernalia was found in the possession of a 19-year-old male student. The paraphernalia confiscated and the student was reported to the Office of Student Conduct.

On Wednesday an individual referred to as a “campus security authority” reported a sexual assault in the fourth degree that had occurred Jan. 14 in Calkins Hall. The alleged victim told police she did not want to pursue criminal charges for the incident. Wassman said police are still required to determine what happened, but there will be no criminal investigation.

Men’s Head Basketball Coach Keno Davis called police on Wednesday after receiving six nuisance emails over a two day period from an individual criticizing his coaching.

A 33 year-old male student was reported to police after he asked employees at the CMU Bookstore about the store’s security. Police spoke to the man to ask why he was asking about security measures, but the student declined to be interviewed.

A 31 year-old male was arrested Wednesday morning after reporting to CMUPD and failing a breathalyzer test required as part of his probation. The man drove himself to the police station and was arrested for operating under the influence. The incident was also reported to his probation officer.

Mount Pleasant Police cited 10 women Tuesday night for minor in possession offenses. The women were between ages 18 and 20. A 23 year-old woman was also cited for open intoxicants.