Athletics announces Mike Gawlik as head coach of CMU Volleyball

logo

Central Michigan Athletics announced today Mike Gawlik will serve as CMU volleyball’s head coach.

Gawlik will be introduced at a press conference at 3 p.m. today in McGuirk Arena. He is the fifth coach in program history."We are excited for Mike to take over our volleyball program," said Director of Athletics Dave Heeke in a press release. "Throughout the hiring process, it was clear that Mike had the vision and the understanding of what it would take to build this into a championship program that provides a well-rounded experience for our student-athletes. His positive demeanor is infectious and his peers rave about his ability to bring people together. Mike also understands the hard work and patience needed to create a culture that will help us have long-term success."

Gawlik spent 11 seasons working with defensive specialists and recruiting at Michigan State, where he graduated with a master’s degree in athletic administration in 2011.

"I am very grateful for this opportunity and excited for the challenge ahead," Gawlik said in a press release. "When I met with Dave Heeke, Cristy Freese and the CMU staff, it was clear that this was a great fit and we had similar ideas for the potential of this program. I look forward to building on the championship culture at already exists at CMU, providing our student-athlete with an exceptional experience on and off the court."

Gawlik’s hire comes 28 days after former Head Coach Eric Olson’s resignation went into effect Dec. 31. Olson resigned after a two-month investigation regarding unprofessional behavior toward athletes. The investigation was terminated upon Olson’s resignation.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →