Fermentation program serves first batch of beer at Hunter's Ale House

Central Michigan University's Fermentation Science program unveiled its first batch of beer for the public on Feb. 19.

The event was held at Hunter's Ale House, where three styles of beer were made by students in the program. Fermentation Science is a new, 16-credit program that can be completed in one year. It is open to both degree seeking and non-degree seeking students who have been accepted to CMU.

Hunter's Ale House had a few people dispersed throughout the restaurant who were trying the newly released beers. A slow Friday crowd was made livelier when a group from the CMU Alumni Board came in.

“It’s a great program for the university," said Ryan Fewins-Bliss, president of Central Michigan University alumni association board of directors. “I’m not a big beer drinker, but I came here because a big part of being an alumni is staying up-to-date with the university as it changes and grows over time.”

The Alumni Board had organized the event for a small group of alumni to get a chance to see the new program's work.

“It seems very innovative for the university to take on this program,” said Michael Zeig, vice president of the young alumni board of directors. “The beers are great and taste just like the beers you’d get at a store.”