Track coach happy with team's performance at Saginaw invitational

p1j0015

Director of Track and Field Mark Guthrie speaks with members of the Central Michigan University track and field teams during the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships at the Indoor Athletics Complex. (Photo Courtesy CMU Athletics)

Prior to this weekend, Central Michigan Track and Field Head Coach Mark Guthrie called the Jet’s Pizza Invitational “a stepping stone.” After the meet, Guthrie said this weekend was a step in the right direction.

“This meet was an excellent example of athletes competing at a high level, beating people and performing well,” Guthrie said. “I feel much better than I did a week ago.”

The Chippewas posted 10 first place finishes as well as sweeping the women’s 400-meter run in the Friday-Saturday meet.

The invitational follows the performance at the Eastern Michigan Triangular last weekend that exposed various weaknesses within the team and precedes one of the largest meets of the season, the Meyo Invitational at Notre Dame next weekend.

"(This meet) makes my job a little bit tougher, since we can only take so many people to a meet like Notre Dame,” Guthrie said.

Freshmen Samantha Cuneo (55.9 seconds) and Simonae Dismuke (56.56 seconds) placed first and second, followed by senior Lexi Mielke (56.83) in third in the women’s 400. Freshman Benjamin Hayes won the men’s 400 meter run with a time of 48.44 seconds.

Sophomore April Micheaux won the women’s pentathlon — an event consisting of the 60-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, long jump and 800-meter run. Micheaux placed first in the high jump (1.61 meters) and shot put (12.09 meters), second in the hurdles (9.29 seconds), third in the long jump (5.01 meters) and seventh in the 800-meter run (2:53.03).

Junior Kylee Dobbelaere won the women’s weight throw with a throw of 17.56 meters while junior Dylan Banagis (20.67 meters) and senior Cole Walderzak (20.48 meters) placed first and second in the men’s weight throw.

The women’s 1600-meter relay team of Mielke, freshman Gabriella Beauvais, sophomore Kyla Walton and junior Kelsey Ross won with a time of 3:49.75.

Walderzak won the men’s shot put with a throw of 16.99 meters, followed by freshman Kevin Weiler, who placed second with a throw of 16.54 meters.

Senior Tina Davis finished first in the women’s 60-meter dash in 7.54 seconds and junior Malik Peacock won the men’s 60-meter dash in 6.91 seconds — lifetime bests for both runners.

Sophomore Shane Moffo won the men’s 60-meter hurdles in 8.27 seconds.

“All event areas had significant improvement (from last week) and performances that were distinguished,” Guthrie said. “We had a very solid and very good meet, and I was pleased with the entire team.”

Next weekend's Meyo Invitational at Notre Dame is another two-day event that begins on Friday and runs through Saturday.