By the Numbers: Central Michigan's 14-inning loss to Michigan State in the Clash at Comerica

DETROIT — After allowing three runs in more than four hours of work, the Central Michigan baseball team allowed four runs in the bottom of the 14th inning. Michigan State (24-6) topped Central Michigan (7-26) 7-3 in Wednesday's Clash at Comerica.

Here's a look at the game, by the numbers:

4:38

The amount of time it took to decide a winner. CMU's last game 14 innings or longer came April 4, 2015 in a 16-inning 4-3 loss to Toledo. That game lasted 4:15.

440

The total number of pitches thrown, including 236 from MSU and 204 from CMU. 

The number of hits CMU allowed after a giving up a leadoff double in the sixth inning through the 13th inning. Sophomore Colton Bradley, Oliver and Jordan Grosjean combined for eight innings pitched with no runs allowed. 

0

The amount of baserunners allowed by senior third baseman/pitcher Morgan Oliver in the eighth and ninth innings. He had the game-winning hit in the 2015 Clash at Comerica and was in line for the win if the Chippewas would have won the game in nine innings.

2012

The last time Michigan State beat CMU in the Clash at Comerica Park.

39

The total number of runners left on base for both teams, with 17 for CMU and 12 for MSU.

The number of innings pitched for freshman outfielder/pitcher Dazon Cole. In his second career start, he allowed five hits and five walks with three earned runs on 88 pitches.

550

The announced attendance for Wednesday's game. There were 378 in attendance for last year's game.

4

The number of innings the Chippewas had a runner in scoring position in the ninth inning or later. CMU left nine runners on base in the ninth inning or later.

39

The approximate number of hours between the end of Wednesday's game and the start of CMU's three-game weekend series against Ball State at Theunissen Stadium.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →