Relay For Life fundraising event to take place this weekend

relay4
Central Michigan University students take a video of juniors, Mick Preston and Tyler McCrorey sing in the Disney Prince/Princess competition at Relay for Life in the Indoor Athletic Complex Saturday afternoon.

As of today, 73 campus and community groups have registered to take part in the 12-hour-long fundraising event for cancer research — Relay For Life.

Relay For Life will be hosted by registered student organization Colleges Against Cancer from noon to midnight on Saturday, April 9 in the Indoor Athletic Complex. Last year, about $67,000 was raised through the fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. Student organizations, Greek Life, residence halls and community groups from outside of the university take part in the event and fundraise individually with their teams.

"(Relay For Life) is an amazing community that comes together," said Samantha Kidd, president of Colleges Against Cancer. "It's also a lot of fun and rewarding to see the large campus community come together for this cause."

The event is open to the public, but there is also the option to donate and register online as a team or join someone else's team.

"Game over cancer" is the theme of Relay For Life this year. Each team will have games participants can pay to play in order to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Baked goods and crafts will also be sold during the event by teams to raise money.

The venue will also include events such as a waffle bar and entertainment like kickball, a scavenger hunt, performances from On the Rox a capella group and Trap Door Improv comedy group.

The opening ceremony for Relay For Life will be held at 11 a.m., the remembrance ceremony will take place at 8 p.m. and the closing ceremony will be at 11:30 p.m. 

Kidd said the luminaria remembrance ceremony is usually everyone's favorite part. Lanterns are placed around the track outside of the IAC and illuminate the outdoor track in remembrance of loved ones lost to cancer.

"(The remembrance ceremony) really shows why we do Relay," said the Warren senior.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →