Softball, class team up to raise cancer awareness

The Central Michigan softball team held its annual “Pink Out” game Saturday during its doubleheader against Toledo, in which the Chippewas won both games by mercy rule, 12-3 and 9-1.

The team wore its white and pink uniforms and a white and pink ribbon was spray painted in the outfield for the game. In addition, students from PES 550: Sports Fundraising teamed up with the softball team in hopes of raising $5,000 for the National Research Cancer Foundation.

“The students have to set up the event," said Nick Williams, who teaches the class. "The students have to fundraise, they have to market and promote their event and they have to manage the whole thing. It’s very significant towards their grade.”

The event, “Strikeout Cancer,” began with a home run derby on Wednesday and Thursday. Participants could pay $5 for five swings, with the top two contestants of each day competing in the final round on Saturday after the team’s doubleheader.

Eighty-eight students and faculty members lined the left field wall of Margo Jonker Stadium to put their skills to the test. One-by-one the competitors entered the batter’s box, hoping to win the $75 gift card.

“The home run derby was a blast," said Jonah Ings, the head of the PES 550 marketing committee. "Seeing students and faculty alike compete and use sports as a common ground to connect for a great cause was amazing.”

After Thursday, the top four were set.

During CMU’s doubleheader, the students from PES 550 held a raffle with prizes and a silent auction for fans to bid on. T-shirts and jerseys were also available for purchase — the same kind worn by the players.

After the doubleheader, the final round of the home run derby took place.

Former CMU baseball pitcher Adam Aldred won the contest with 17 home runs in Saturday’s finale. Baseball outfielder Logan Regnier finished in second place with 14 home runs.

“I was basically just trying to take my time and get under some of them,” Aldred said. “I was hoping I could take some pitches, but once I saw Logan go, I knew I had to swing as quick and as light as I could. Softball is a little different because you have to wait on them a little longer to drive them out.”

The students expect to be well over their goal of $5,000 and will meet on Tuesday to do an official count. The current total on the group’s GoFundMe Page is $3,195, that does not include sponsorships — which is over $1,000 — and does not include raffle and silent auction totals — expected to be over $1,000.

Showing their support

Among the competitors in Thursday’s home run derby were several CMU athletes from different sports. Players from football to basketball and track and field showed up to support the cause and test their skills on the ball diamond.

Football quarterback Jake Johnson — who hit one home run — said he has friends in the class who told him about the event and he wrangled up his teammates to show their support.

“I never played baseball growing up, but once I heard about this I knew it would be a really fun way to raise money," he said. "The guys and I are all just having some fun and trying to hit some home runs.”

Basketball forward Luke Meyer said the event has a lot of meaning to him and he wanted to do what he could to raise money.

“It’s really important to me personally because I’ve lost family members to cancer,” Meyer said. “I think it’s important for athletics to take a stand and keep up with how we handle raising donations.”

Track and field thrower Cole Walderzak, football wide receiver Brandon Childress, linebacker Trevor Apsey and indefinitely suspended linebacker Malik Fountain were among other notable participants.

The group's GoFundMe Page along with T-shirt and jersey sales will remain open through the week.