Students advised to take safety measures in the sun

Recent warmer temperatures pulled students outdoors, leaving some burned in the process. 

By Sunday night, Walmart on Bluegrass Road ran out of Aloe; a common natural remedy of harmful rays.

Nursing Supervisor at University Health Services Lora Zenz said in an email that a trip to the doctor is necessary when you have a fever of 102 degrees or higher, severe pain, sunburn blisters that cover 20 percent or more of your body, reduced urination or dizziness."

Alana Hollis, a sophomore from Saline, said she was outside for two hours on Friday and four to five hours on Saturday watching roommates play intramural softball. She didn't get sunburnt, but her boyfriend turned lobster red.

While sunburn isn't lethal, it can be painful. Zenz said some ways to care for it include using cold compresses, aloe gel and drugs like Ibuprofen, which is non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory.

According to the Grand Rapids National Weather Service, the "June-like weather" had highs of 75 to 80 degrees Sunday through Monday.

The rest of the week, there will be slightly cooler temperatures with cloudy skies. 

Hot weather and high humidity bring a risk for heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Zenz said signs of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, faintness, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, rapid pulse, muscle cramps nausea and headache. She said if you think you are experiencing heat exhaustion, stop all activity and rest, move to  a cooler place and drink water.

If the condition persists or worsens, you should contact your doctor. Lack of treatment can lead to heatstroke.

Students were seen outside on campus throughout this week. One of those that did, Nicole Bachman, sat at a picnic table in between Anspach and Pearce halls on Monday, doing homework. 

She said the warm weather drew her outside for much of the weekend, when she and her roommate when rollerblading through campus and drew with chalk outside of their apartment.

"I have been (studying) in the library all winter and I am over (the cold)," she said. "It's nice to be outside in the wind."