Sun Safety: What to watch for during the summer heat

With the summer months beckoning, temperatures are rising, leaving some burned in the process. 

Nursing Supervisor at University Health Services Lora Zenz said in an email that a trip to the doctor is necessary when you have a fever of 102 degrees or higher, severe pain, sunburn blisters that cover 20 percent or more of your body, reduced urination or dizziness.

Alana Hollis, a sophomore from Saline, said she was outside for two hours on Friday, April 15 and four to five hours on Saturday, April 16 watching roommates play intramural softball. She didn't get sunburnt, but her boyfriend turned lobster red.

While sunburn isn't lethal, it can be painful. Zenz said some ways to care for it include using cold compresses, aloe gel and drugs like Ibuprofen, which is non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory.

Hot weather and high humidity bring a risk for heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Zenz said signs of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, faintness, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, rapid pulse, muscle cramps nausea and headache. She said if you think you are experiencing heat exhaustion, stop all activity and rest, move to  a cooler place and drink water.

If the condition persists or worsens, you should contact your doctor. Lack of treatment can lead to heatstroke.