Clinton: 'I want to give you something to vote for'

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton visits Detroit prior to voting registration deadline to encourage Millennial political participation

img_8152
Presidental candidate Hillary Clinton speaks to the crowd during a rally on Monday, Oct. 10 at Wayne State University.

Convincing Michiganders to vote for Democrats Nov. 8 was the theme of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s speech when she campaigned Monday in Detroit.

The Democratic nominee for president visited Wayne State University to convince unregistered voters, particularly within the Millennial generation, to register to vote before the Oct. 11 deadline. About 4,000 people were in the crowd, according to the university.

“People know what’s at stake this election. The differences between me and my opponent are pretty clear,” Clinton said. “Because of this, we’re getting more and more Democrats and Independents (pledging to vote for me). I want to give you something to vote for, not just someone to vote against.”

For the first time in history, Millennials nearly match the number of voters of the Baby Boomer generation, according to a study done by Pew Research Center. That generation has been the dominant voting bloc for the last several elections.

News organizations such as Politico consider Michigan’s 16 Electoral College votes as some of the most important alongside swing states like Ohio and Nevada in the race.

While the state has traditionally leaned Democratic, going blue for six of the last 10 presidential elections, Trump won the Michigan presidential primary with 36.5 percent of the vote.

Clinton lost the state to U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders by 1.5 percent.

Speakers at the event, however, were confident in Clinton’s ability to win the Democratic and undecided vote. Preceding Clinton’s speech were people offering their support of the Democratic nominee like Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, U.S. Senator Debbie Stabbenow and Michigan 9th District Representative Sandy Levin.

“Clinton is trying to create an economy where no one is forgotten or left out,” Duggan said. “She’s trying to make a country where no one is bad mouthed because they’re Muslim, an immigrant or African-American. Clinton is thinking for the rest of us.”

Duggan pressed the crowd to encourage their unregistered friends and family members to sign up by the deadline. He also encouraged people to “bring their friends” to the polls in November.

“Michigan is going to be pivotal for the first time in years,” he said. “We are going to make the decision as a country in a few weeks. If you believe in a country where everyone is respected and valued, we cannot sit on our hands. (It’s time to) let her know Detroit is behind Hillary Clinton.”

Clinton’s words managed to sway some undecided voters in the audience.

Redford native Stephenie Mincey said she attended the rally on a whim because she was in the area.

Only having registered to vote a little more than week ago, she was unsure what candidate she favored.

“After seeing all of this, I’m definitely voting for (Clinton),” she said. “Almost everything she stands for is something I believe in.”

In addition to Clinton raising awareness about registering to vote, she also spoke in detail about working together with Sanders to create a plan that would cut college student debt if she is elected into office.

The crowd was vocal in response to issues raised such as lowering federal income tax, Trump’s misogynistic comments against women and the Sunday night debate in St. Louis, Missouri.

“I wasn’t even sure if I was going to vote at all in this election,” said Clinton Township native Rodney Scott. “Then I watched the (Sunday) debate and listened to what she was saying, which has made me lean more toward Hillary. Especially what she said today about increasing the minimum wage and making college affordable for students, it’s making me want to vote for her.”

Clinton closed out the rally with one message: The “next 30 days can affect the next 30 years.”

“We really hope young people will become the biggest voting group in this election,” she said. “If we work together we can make this country what we know it will and should be. We’re going to prove to the world we are stronger together.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →