Police investigate breaking and entering, assault complaints

Following the party atmosphere of the Western and Homecoming weekends, a number of assaults, thefts and minor in possession charges were noted. Here’s last week in crime:

Oct. 9

Staff in Saxe Hall called 9-1-1 after two intoxicated women entered the building and one of them made comments about committing self-harm. Both women, ages 18 and 19, were transported to McLaren-Central Michigan via ambulance.

Oct. 8

A backpack and jacket belonging to an 18-year-old man were stolen. The items have a total estimated value of $200. No suspect was identified. 

Police were called to Merrill Hall after staff smelled marijuana in the building. Students were found vaping, and police recovered 0.14 grams of the drug. The incident was referred to the Office of Student Conduct. 

Central Michigan University Dispatch observed a man going through the Education and Human Services Building. Police caught up to the 21-year-old and found he had stolen a poster. He was charged with disorderly conduct and theft from a building. 

Three 20-year-old men were found near the Field Hockey Complex and were each cited for minor in possession.

A 55-year-old woman was arrested for assaulting an officer after she attempted to break up a public gathering on Main Street. The woman tripped the officer, then hit him in the chest with her forearm. 

A 49-year-old man attacked a taxi driver to avoid paying for his ride. The 40-year-old victim was punched two to three times. No serious injuries were reported. The attack was reported to the Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office.

Two men, ages 20 and 21, were cited for disorderly conduct after police caught them urinating in public outside the Homecoming football game. 

CMU Police arrested a 20-year-old woman for driving while intoxicated after running a stop sign at the intersection of Hopkins and Washington Street. The woman had a blood alcohol level of 0.83. A passenger was arrested for a warrant from Mount Pleasant Police for assault. 

Oct. 7

A 27-year-old man was arrested after running a stop sign at the intersection of Preston Street and West Campus Drive. The driver did not have a license. 

Oct. 6

A car in Parking Lot 3, near Ronan Hall, struck a light pole and fled. Police later found the vehicle in the Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort parking lot. The 29-year-old driver said he didn’t recall hitting the pole. He was intoxicated, but said he only drank after the accident. The driver was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

Oct. 5

An 18-year-old man in Herrig Hall threatened to commit suicide before leaving the building. Police found him after he returned to Herrig Hall and transported him to McLaren-Central Michigan for a mental health evaluation. 

A 17-year-old woman was pulled over for driving at night without headlights on. The suspect had 20 grams of marijuana, two weighing scales and several small plastic bags. The woman refused to take a breathalyzer test. Police obtained a search warrant for a blood test and are still waiting for the results. The suspect was arrested for driving while intoxicated and felony possession with intent to deliver. 

A 34-year-old woman was arrested after breaking into a house on Michigan Street and assaulting two of the occupants. She was greeted at the door by a 48-year-old woman. The two were arguing over a money related issue when the suspect pushed her way in and began punching and scratching the victim. Another woman, 30, attempted to help the victim. The suspect was arrested and the incident has been forwarded to the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Court.

Police tracked a student who made suicidal comments to a hardware store on High Street. The 18-year-old man was transported to a hospital in Midland for a mental health evaluation.

An 18-year-old woman was arrested for falsely activating a fire alarm in the Bovee University Center. 

A 19-year-old man was arrested after spending counterfeit $10 bills at Kmart. The suspect had bought the fake cash online. 

Police arrested a 19-year-old woman after she punched a 21-year-old woman following an argument. The victim is seeking prosecution. The suspect was also cited for minor in possession.

For the full crime log, visit cm-life.com

Oct. 4

Police were called to McLaren-Central Michigan after a 55-year-old woman began shouting vulgar language. Police succeeded in calming her down, but were called back when the behavior started again. The woman was arrested for disorderly conduct after she attempted to hit one of the nurses.

A 29-year-old man said his car was keyed in Parking Lot 43. Police concluded the damage must have happened elsewhere after reviewing surveillance footage of the car.

Oct. 3

A 36-year-old woman was arrested after an argument with her boyfriend ended with her hitting, scratching and choking him. The victim had redness where she had choked him, but did not suffer serious injury.

An intoxicated 31-year-old man was arrested for assault after slapping his 27-year-old girlfriend across the face. No serious injuries were reported.

Police were called after a 15-year-old juvenile shoved his mother, 39, when she tried to break up a fight between him and a brother. The incident was reported to Juvenile Court.

A 24-year-old man was arrested after punching his girlfriend, 25, in the eye following an argument. The man had been drinking. The incident was referred to Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Court.

A bike worth $300 belonging to a 27-year-old man was reported stolen on South Drive. No suspects were identified.

A man reported a laptop computer and prescription medication were stolen from his car. No suspects have been identified.

A 19-year-old woman found her car with a broken off side mirror in Parking Lot 40. No suspect was identified.

A bike belonging to an 18-year-old woman was found with punctured tires. The damage was estimated at $75. No suspect was identified.

Police are investigating the loss of a purse and wallet belonging to a 21-year-old woman during the Western Weekend football game. Both items were left in a bathroom. A credit card from the wallet was later used to purchase approximately $1,000 in goods. Police have identified a person of interest, but have no suspect. Police found a wallet during with $22 in cash belonging to a 16-year-old high school student. Police are still attempting to make contact with the owner.