Volleyball splits weekend, returns home for two matches

img_5811
Head coach Mike Gawlik, left, speaks to sophomore outside setter Laura Wilson, right, during the game against NIU on Friday, Sept 30 at McGuirk Arena.

After knocking off Eastern Michigan in five sets on Thursday, the Central Michigan volleyball team was swept by Kent State on Saturday.  

The weekend split places the Chippewas record at 8-10 overall. They are tied for fourth place in the Mid-American Conference West division with EMU. 

Thursday

EMU took the Chippewas to five sets in McGuirk Arena before CMU won the final set 15-8. The win marked the second home win of the season for the Chippewas. 

"At times, we played incredibly well," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "Sets four and five really highlighted what we're capable of when we come together as a group."

Junior Jordan Bueter led the offensive attack for CMU with 16 kills on the night and junior Taylor Robertson and sophomore Laura Wilson both finished with 13 kills. 

"Jordan really stepped up as a leader on the court," Gawlik said. "She kind of put us on her back there for a little while, and really just willed us and our effort as a whole to be better."

Saturday

MAC East division foe Kent State handed the Chippewas their fourth conference loss of the season with a 3-0 victory. 

Senior setter Kathia Sanchez recorded 23 assists in the match and led the team with 11 digs. The team finished with an overall hitting percentage of .125. 

What's next

With Saturday's loss, CMU now sits at fourth in the MAC West Division behind Northern Illinois, Ball State and Toledo.

A two-game home stand is next for CMU. The Chippewas have a matchup against Miami (OH) on Friday and Bowling Green on Saturday at McGuirk Arena. Both matches begin at 7 p.m.

Miami enters Friday as the top team in the MAC East Division with a 6-0 conference record. The RedHawks are riding a 13 game winning streak into Mount Pleasant.

Bowling Green holds the fourth spot in the MAC East with a 2-3 conference record.