Professors read their published work, sells books

dsc06239
Darrin Doyle reads a piece of his work, Nov. 10 in the Park Library on the campus of Central Michigan University. Josh Barnhart | Freelance Photographer

The College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences hosted a reading by faculty members Darrin Doyle and Jeffrey Bean in the Charles V. Park Library Barber Room on Nov. 10.

Doyle, a Central Michigan University associate professor, was the first reader. He read multiple of his short fiction stories including “The Long Story,” “Cottonwood” and “Night Train.” He read part of a question and answer-formatted nonfiction story about a man who was in prison most of his life.

Doyle also read his story about three best friends who always promised to go fishing, but didn’t until years later.

“Art is so important,” Doyle said. “It taps into what it is to be a person. It makes you think in different points of views.”

He said he hopes the students attending the event and listening to his work are inspired to work harder on their own creative work.

“I would like to inspire them to embrace what they love to do and do what they want no matter what and to make sure they don’t let failure stop them,” Doyle said.

Bean, an English language professor, shared his work, including “Physical,” a poem about going to the doctor and having anxiety, and his new book titled “The Voyeur Litany,” about a man obsessed with watching his neighbor.

“I like the darker ones because it makes you think and put yourself in someone else’s shoes,” Lansing senior Harleigh Putmon said. “It was very influential to watch successful writers read their work.”

Doyle and Bean sold their books after the event, and talked to students interested in writing. Doyle said a challenge many writers have is trying to get creative thought flowing enough to write.

“Reading writers I admire help me work on my own stuff,” Doyle said. “Sit aside a few minutes a day to just write, write in a notebook, be messy. It takes the pressure off.”

Bean said going to creative readings is like how music lovers come to concerts - they come to watch it live as readers come to hear the authors read their work through their own voice which helps them connect.

“They can see that they can also make a difference in the world demonstrating their craft,” said Maye Zerull, graduate assistant at the CMU Writing Center. “(It’s inspiring) to see what kind of stuff they are producing to see the pieces they create.”