Keynote speaker shares daily struggles of Native Americans, Standing Rock

life

While teaching in schools in reservations, Matila Wilbur saw 19 of her students die. After watching them be buried, she thought of what she wanted to do differently.

Now, she photographs the 567 federally-recognized tribes in the United States for her work, “Project 562.”

Her project focused on documenting Native Americans life using photographs and sharing the stories of other Natives.

The Swinomish/Tulalip award-winning photographer was the Native American Heritage Month keynote speaker on Nov. 18.

“I think it is really important to share this with the young minds,” Wilbur said. “When we share our stories policy can change.”
She discussed the North Dakota Standing Rock conflict, where thousands of people are camping out in protest against a crude oil pipeline project. Wilbur said dogs have been set to attack protesters, which hasn't been bone since the Selma protest in 1965.

She discussed the stories of some powerful Native American women she's met, including stories of women who were sterilized while giving birth without consent and a woman sexually assaulted in the army.

Three out of four Native American women experience sexual abuse in their lifetime compared to one in five women, Wilbur said.

She said she's gathered student stories from the universities she's visited this week regarding the recent election of the president-elect, Donald Trump.

Wilbur said a student experienced her dorm hall putting up confederate flags in her hall. Another student said how she got her “lady bits” grabbed while the guy said “This is a new America, you better get used to it.”
Wilbur reminded students it wasn't long ago that it was illegal for Native Americans to practice their religion. It was illegal until 1974.

“I didn’t know that Natives went through that and it really opened my eyes,” Plymouth junior Goodwin said. “People are so in their own bubble they don’t take the time to be aware of more diversity.”
Detroit senior Deja Collins has been working on the reservations which has made her become more interested in the Native American culture.

“I don’t think we are exposed to Native culture much,” Collins said. “It’s good to know of other cultures of different backgrounds.”