Wait list for counseling center decreases in Fall 2015, tips to reduce stress

Feelings surrounding finals week can be conflicting for some students. While they celebrate nearing the end of the semester, many also find themselves stressed that finals will ruin their grade point average.

Since fall 2012, the waitlist for individual counseling appointments on the Monday of finals week went from zero appointments to 26 in 2015.

The number fell again in Fall 2016 to a waitlist of 10 students.

“I usually psych myself out during finals week because there is a lot of pressure to get a good grade on your finals or else you could fail your classes,” said Chicago freshman Natalie Weith

The American Test Anxiety Association reported nearly 20 percent of students are affected by severe test anxiety, and 18 percent may have a moderate form of test anxiety.

According to a "Tips for a Successful Finals Week" handout distributed to students at the counseling center, to reduce stress and perform better during finals week, students should remove distractions by turning off their cell phones, take care of their bodies by avoiding all-nighter and spend three to five minutes a day "doing nothing.”

Rapaport added urgent and same day appointments are still available daily.

“I tend to feel more stressed out during finals week because a lot is thrown at you all at once,” Chicago freshman Kendall Murrell said. “You have to remember so much information for entirely different classes all in one week and sometimes all in one day.”

The counseling center is open during finals week for stressed students in need of advice. The counseling center is located in Foust Hall 102.

Students can schedule an appointment by calling 989-774-3381. The counseling center is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.