CMU women's basketball downs UIC, extends winning streak to 5

The home crowd left McGuirk Arena happy on Saturday after Central Michigan women's basketball cruised to a 77-55 victory over the University of Illinois-Chicago, giving the Chippewas a five-game winning streak. 

CMU is now 6-2 on the year, while UIC falls to 2-4.

The Chippewas shot 50.8 percent from the field Saturday afternoon, making the team 5-1 in games where it shoots at least 40 percent or higher from the field. The team also limited UIC to 13 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the second, third and fourth quarters.

"That's a goal. We hit all four of our defensive goals," said Head Coach Sue Guevara. "Today, we played a lot of defense. We held them to our defensive goals, and we hit three of our four offensive goals. It's not perfect, but we're still trying to get that."

The first quarter was all about point-runs for both teams. CMU began the game on a 6-0 run, but then UIC went on a 7-0 run of its own. By the time it was all said and done, it was 13-13 at the end of the first.

Junior guard Cassie Breen opened the second quarter on a 6-0 run by herself, hitting two 3-pointers within 23 seconds, forcing UIC to take a timeout one minute and six seconds into the second.

Later in the fourth quarter, Breen hit two 3-pointers 32 seconds apart. Sophomore guard Presley Hudson hit a jumper on the ensuing possession to give the Chippewas their first 20-point lead of the day. Breen finished with 18 points, with 15 coming from 3-pointers.

“Those are the best 3-pointers to make, (Hudson) can abide by that," Breen said. "Those are big game-changers because back-to-back 3's is what makes teams put their heads down. It's just that momentum swings in our direction, and I credit my teammates for finding me on the wings and being able to give me the ball."

Hudson finished the game with 18 points, six of those 18 coming from the free-throw line. She missed all five of her 3-point attempts, but was 6-of-7 on 2-point attempts.

“When my outside shot is not going, I try to create plays for other people," Hudson said. "I was also able to get to the free-throw line today, so that was good."

Breen picked up for Hudson's missed 3-pointers, making 5-of-8 3's. Junior guard Aleah Swary made the other two 3-pointers for CMU. 

The Chippewas will be on the road Tuesday at 7 p.m. as they take on the Purdue Boilermakers.