Women's track dominates, men's finishes second in Jack Skoog Triangular

Senior Kelly Schubert proved her dominance in the mile by pulling away from the pack in the final stretch, recording a time of 5:04.58 as the women’s track team finished first at the Jack Skoog Triangular Friday.

The women’s team won eight events to finish first, while the men took second place inside the Jack Skoog Indoor Track & Field Complex at CMU.  

“It’s all about getting out, getting started,” said Head Coach Guthrie. “Like I tell my players, it takes about 160 days until we are where we want to be.”

The women finished with a score of 68 to top Oakland (50.50) and Alma (12.50). Oakland edged the men's team 68-67. Alma finished third with 6. 

In track, it’s all about the championship meet, according to Guthrie. Unlike in other sports – such as football or basketball – the season boils down to how well a team performs in the final meet.  

But even this early in the season, Guthrie said he is exceptionally pleased with his athletes’ performances. The star veterans showed up strong while many freshmen exceeded expectations.

“I think in every event, we were more than positive,” he said. “There were glimmers everywhere.”

The women dominated the long jump, with the top six spots going to CMU. The top spot went to freshman Nadia Williams with a 5.86-meter jump.

Coming in first place for the women’s hammer throw was senior Kylee Dobbelaere with 16.89, completing the sweep in the event.

The women’s 60-meter dash went to freshman Nadia Williams, finishing the event in 7.72 seconds.

Sophomore Calli Stemple took first place in the women’s high jump with a personal record of 1.69 meters.

The top three spots in the women’s 800 all came from Central, with sophomore Kelsey Ross coming in first, senior Michaela Bundy in second, and junior Megan O’Neil in third.

Junior Hannah Davis took second in the 3,000 with a time of 10:40.02 on the women’s side.

Junior April Micheaux took second place in the women’s shot put with 13.22 meters.

With a time of 8.94 seconds, sophomore Danielle Horton won the women’s 60-meter hurdles, while freshman Aisha Jackson’s 9.17 seconds placed her in third.

Horton also came fifth in the 200 with a 26.99 time, while sophomore Doofanter Nyamor took second with 26.44.

In the 3,000-meter run, the longest run of the night, freshmen Mark Beckmann and Bransen Stimpfel came in fourth and fifth for the men, the only CMU runners in a 12-man heat. Stimpfel trailed most of the 15 laps before sprinting ahead of two runners in the final lap to place behind Beckmann.

The one-two punch of junior Lorenzo Wells and senior Malik Peacock came in fourth and second in the 60-meter dash, while the duo went first and second in the 200.

Senior Dylan Banagis paced all hammer throwers with a 19.91 meter throw, two meters farther than anyone at the meet.

Coming in second in the hammer throw was freshman Logan Targgart with 17.33, proving he and Banagis could be a potentially dangerous duo this season.

Showing his versatility, Targgart also came in third place in the shot put with a distance of 15.65 meters, while sophomore Kevin Weiler took second with 16.28.

Junior Scott Cousino continued his strong season start by winning the 800 meter run in 1:58.30. Freshman Luke Anderson came in third while sophomore Ben Yagiela took fourth.

The top two spots in the men’s high jump went to senior Melvin Harris with 2.05 meters and junior Aaron Taylor with 1.95.

Junior Ali Taha took second in the men’s long jump with 6.60 meters, while sophomore Jake Peister took fourth with 6 meters. Piester also took first in the triple jump with 14.57 meters.

The next meet for the Chippewas will be Friday, Jan. 20 at 2:30 at the Doug Hansen Invitational in Saginaw.