University Health Services still offers flu shots, immunizations

life

University Health Services sees a significant increase in patient care during the winter months.

Erik Robinette, director of Faculty Group Practice, said with the prevalence of airborne illnesses and students gathering in small classrooms, the fall and winter months are the “busiest” for the clinics.

Central Michigan University students, staff and faculty on campus can receive immunizations, diagnoses and treatment of illnesses in Foust 202, Troutman 103 and Primary & Specialty Services, located at 2600 Three Leaves Dr. A new electronic health record called Epic was recently implemented to allow students to see their health records, results and communicate with staff online.

“I wouldn’t say there’s one most common (illness we treat), but we see a few bounce around like the respiratory flu, some sexually transmitted diseases, (heightened) depression and anxiety,” Robinette said. “Those are pretty frequent-flyer kinds of visits.”

Flu shots are offered at the Foust clinic and Primary and Specialty Services clinic. Robinette said he is unsure when the shots will stop being administered by University Health Services, but offsite internal medicine practice also offers flu shots.

“Some people get the shot right in the heart of flu season, but we try to time it before the flu season hits,” he said. “That way it has time to go through the body.”

The Foust clinic offers more resources than the Towers clinic, including a larger amount of nurse support given for allergy injections and immunizations. Foust also offers a variety of dermatologic services usually found at a primary care clinic such as wart removal and excision of lesions.

University Health Services are offered 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday in the Towers and Foust.

Students can call 989-774-3055 to schedule an appointment.