Lacrosse to host Marquette in home opener

After opening the season 1-1 on the road, the Central Michigan lacrosse will host Marquette for its home opener at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex. 

In the opening week of the season, the Chippewas defeated Saint Francis (PA) 20-10 Feb. 16, before losing to Robert Morris 21-6 Feb. 18.

Head coach Sara Tisdale said the opening weekend was a good learning experience for her team.

“We learned the importance that every possession truly matters,” she said. “We need to be in control of our effort and attitude and not respond to outside factors.”

It has been a point of emphasis for Central Michigan to play their style of game this season. The difference between a win and a loss for the Chippewas largely depends on the execution of their game plan, Tisdale said.

“On Saturday, we allowed (Robert Morris) to get to us, and as they picked up their intensity, we got tighter and tighter,” Tisdale said. “Thursday (against Saint Francis), we were playing loose with a great swagger and confidence in what we were doing.”

Sophomore Anna Schoonover scored a CMU-record six goals against Saint Francis, but said she wasn't thinking about the record at the time.

“My goal count wasn’t a huge piece of the game I was aiming for,” she said. “We just tried to play well as a team.”

Schoonover also tacked on an assist Saturday against Robert Morris giving her seven points on the season. Last season she finished with 30 points in 16 games played.

Pennsylvania native and freshman Shannon Doyle also has seven points this season. Doyle scored four goals in the opener against Saint Francis (PA) and added another hat trick against Robert Morris.

Doyle said she's excited to play in front of the Central Michigan fans for the first time as a freshman.

“It will be nice to redeem ourselves here,” she said. “How we respond to (last) Saturday will set the tone for the rest of the season.”

Doyle said she has noticed an increase in the team's focus heading into the home opener. 

“The intensity level has taken a step up from previous weeks,” Doyle added. “It was necessary if we want to be able to compete with these higher-level opponents.”