Gymnastics drops close meet to Bowling Green

After last week’s close victory, the Central Michigan gymnastics team came out on the other side of a tight contest, falling 195.725 to 195. 625 to Bowling Green on Sunday. 

The loss moves the Chippewas to 7- 4 overall and 3-3 in Mid- American Conference play.

"It’s been a long time since we have had three conference losses, and it's not a good feeling," said head coach Jerry Reighard.

The Chippewas started out strong on vault recording a score of 48.975. Each gymnast scored a 9.775 or higher on the event. Sophomore Kasey Janowicz led the team with a 9.825. This was Janowicz first non-exhibition vault of the season. Bowling Green scored a 49.05 on vault. 

“It’s important to come out on every event strong and as we say, 'you do it all day long,'” Reighard said.

CMU went on to the uneven bars and scored a 49.025. Junior Bryttany Kaplan had the high for CMU with a 9.85. Bowling Green scored a 48.825 on the uneven bars.

This is the second straight week CMU has scored a 49 on bars.

“I know that’s a nice bar score, but I know the team can do better,” Reighard said. “Hard work has helped us. We work hard in practice and it has shown."

Going into the third rotation, the Chippewas had the lead 98 to 97.825.

CMU scored a 48.375 on beam. Junior Katy Clements had a team high 9.9 on the event. Senior Caroline Fitzpatrick added a 9.85. Going into the final rotation CMU trailed BGSU 146.775 to 146.4.

The Chippewas struggled on beam with two falls in the event. 

“Its 100-percent mental. We can’t be tentative on the balance beam,” Reighard said.

The Chippewas scored a 49.175 on the floor exercise. Junior Macey Hilliker set the high score for CMU with a 9.925.

The Chippewas return to action against Rutgers at 1 p.m. next Sunday, March 5 at 1 p.m. at McGuirk Arena.