International Student Organization hosts culture night

life

The International Student Organization is hosting its annual Cultural Night and Expo from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. this Saturday, Feb. 18, at Finch Fieldhouse.

ISO considers culture night to be the biggest multicultural event at CMU. The event, which is free and open to the public, will showcase the cultures of a variety of international students on campus.

“The event is so important for international students to show who they are and that they are a part of CMU,” said Lebanon senior Mariam Saad, the ISO president.

The expo will have tables representing different countries from around the world and highlights food, fashion and pride that students have for their respective cultures. There will also be a currency table featuring the different forms of money from each international student’s home country.

There are several cultural performances planned from various students.

Cultural night will also feature a raffle in which students can enter by either filling out a question sheet or by taking a picture in the ISO photo booth and uploading the photo to ISO’s Facebook page. Winners will be announced every half hour for a $10 gift card.

President George E. Ross will be speaking at the event, along with two hosts who will make announcements and entertain the crowd throughout the night.

Saad said the Cultural Night and Expo offers a way to bring the cultures that make up the international community and American students at CMU together, amidst a controversial political climate.

“This event is important for international students to see the welcoming community and the support for them,” she said.