SGA passes three pieces of legislation

An annual forum to discuss diversity on campus was among three pieces of legislation passed by the Student Government Association at its Monday meeting in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The House voted on a resolution to clarify the student body’s position for support of a university mascot. The legislation passed with 55 votes in favor of it, 20 opposing and four abstaining.

“There are no changes on this resolution,” said House Leader Cody Van Buren. “The reason this was tabled last week was because of time restraints and the House wanted to push it back a week.”

The resolution to support the creation of an annual forum to discuss diversity on campus was then brought up for discussion. It was brought up by a House member to table the resolution early in the meeting, but was reopened up for discussion later on.

A third resolution in support of creating a medical amnesty policy was then passed by the House. SGA President Jazmin Biernat said Wednesday the policy would provide students an avenue to be excused from class if they experience a long-term medical absence.

At the House meeting's announcements, SGA Elections Committee Member Matthew Boak explained some changes on the election process.

SGA campaigning will start after spring break concludes on March 13. Signatures are to be collected and turned into Elections Director Olivia Cyman by March 5.

Owens said the president and vice president run as one ticket and need 500 signatures as a ticket. The treasurer needs 250 signatures and senators must obtain 100.