SGA passes resolution to extend hours for library study room

A resolution supporting longer operation hours in the Extended Hours Study room in the Charles V. Park Library was passed by the Student Government Association at its meeting Feb. 6.

SGA Vice President Anna Owens said this resolution will benefit students who have unconventional schedules.

“It’s an amazing piece (of legislation) — the Academic Affairs committee worked really hard on this,” Owens said.

The Extended Hours Study operates from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. The resolution proposes to extend the hours to 6 a.m. to 3 a.m.

Owens said this resolution is for students who don’t have computers, who have to travel to work at night or for those who need to print early in the morning for an 8 a.m. class.

“Students try to go to the library to get their homework done and have to make sure they can get access to a computer,” Owens said. “A lot of times, at 10 p.m., all the computers are actually full.”

Part of the resolution is a request for a trial period so the times may possibly be extended further in the future. It was then passed by the House.

“The first floor of the library will be closed except for the (Extended Hours Study)," Owens said. "That way the custodial staff can still get through and people in the library are not getting in their way.”

After SGA broke for House and Senate meetings, Elections Director Olivia Cyman said at the House meeting the electoral process is approaching for those who are interested.

House Leader Cody Van Buren said one of the positions still available is the parliamentarian position, which is a paid position on campus through SGA.

SGA President Jazmin Biernat said deadlines for positions will be announced on SGA’s Facebook page later this week.