Annual Sigma Freeze philanthropy event expanded, hosted this weekend

Sigma Chi will host its third annual Sigma Freeze charity event this weekend, with the goal of raising $15,000 to donate to the Huntsman Cancer Institute to support cancer research and treatment.

Four rival fraternities, Sigma Chi, Sigma Pi, Phi Sigma Phi and Kappa Sigma, came together as one for the event — joining efforts to promote cancer research awareness. 

Thomas Munoz, a Saginaw junior and Sigma Freeze Chairman, said in the past, Sigma Freeze featured one hockey game between Sigma Chi and Sigma Phi. However, this year the fraternity decided to expand the event to include two hockey games between four competing fraternities, and a broomball tournament between all 11 sorority chapters on campus. Some broomball tournament proceeds will be donated to the winning sorority’s related national philanthropy.

Sigma Freeze kicks off with the broomball tournament at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3 at Finch Fieldhouse. Doors open at 3:30 p.m. and admission is $3.

On Friday, there will be two hockey games at the Isabella County Events Arena. Kappa Sigma and Phi Sigma will face off at 6:15 p.m., followed by Sigma Chi vs. Sigma Pi at 8:30 p.m. Ceremonies begin at 6 p.m. and entry is $15 a ticket.

Groups consisting of 25 people or more can receive discount tickets to the hockey games, at $10 a ticket.

Sigma Chi’s national philanthropy partnership with the Huntsman Cancer Institute was established in December 2012. Last year’s Sigma Freeze event raised roughly $10,000.

Munoz said cancer research is important to Sigma Chi because it’s had serious effect on many of their lives. While they hope to raise $15,000 this year, their main goal is to spread awareness.

“This philanthropy in Sigma Freeze is our way for our organizations and those who support, attend and donate to the event to be an asset towards the continuous battle in finding a cure,” Munoz said. “Our brothers truly believe we can be the generation to find a cure.”

Sigma Freeze has become one of the premier philanthropy events on campus, Munoz said. He expects both days of the event to be high energy, competitive and enjoyable.