CMU celebrates Asian Pacific Heritage Month

logo

Several events and activities will take place on Central Michigan University’s campus from March 16 to April 16 to celebrate Asian American and Asian Pacific Islander communities during Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.

Nationally, Asian Pacific Heritage Month is celebrated in May, but CMU scheduling events during the spring semester for the campus community. Movies, speakers and cultural nights will be hosted across campus throughout the month.

·       The month kicks off with a screening of the film "To be Takei" at 8 p.m. on March 16 at the Wesley Center.

·       CMU's Office of LGBTQ Services will host a keynote speech by civil rights activist and founder of the Monsoon Diaries, Calvin D. Sun M.D at 7 p.m. on March 20 in Pearce Hall room 128.

·       The Asian Cultural Organization will sponsor an International Café from 1 to 5 p.m. on March 23 in Herrig Hall.

·       The film “The Joy Luck Club” will be shown at 8 p.m. on March 23 at the Wesley Center.

·       The Asian Cultural Organization will host a Night Market in Kulhavi room 146 at 7 p.m. on March 30.

·       There will be an Asian Pacific American Heritage Food Taster from 4 to 7 p.m. on April 5 at Wesley Church.  Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for the public. Students can RSVP on OrgSync.  

·       The Asian Cultural Organization will present Extreme Cuisine at 7 p.m. in on April 6 in Kulhavi 141 and 142.

·       A Soup and Substance luncheon will be hosted by the Office of Diversity Education at noon on April 12 in the Bovee University Center Terrance Rooms A through D.  

·       An “Inclusive Language in the Classroom” seminar will be held at 2 p.m. on April 13 in the Bovee University Center Terrance Rooms A through D.

·       Asian Pacific Heritage Month will conclude with a “CelebrAsia” party at 7:30 p.m. on April 13 in Pearce Hall room 127.