Slow start kills lacrosse against Cincinnati

After another slow start, Central Michigan lacrosse fell at home to Cincinnati, 15-4.

This marks the fourth straight loss for the Chippewas.

Much like their last match, the Chippewas dug themselves into a hole in the first 10 minutes of action. Five different Bearcats scored to give them a quick 5-0 lead.

After 10 minutes of scoreless play, sophomore Anna Schoonover was able to respond for CMU. The free position goal was Schoonover’s 8th goal of the season.

Cincinnati's Amanda Hess killed CMU's momentum with her first goal of the evening. Shortly after, Elaina Enich scored her second with under a minute to go in the first half to put Cincinnati up 7-1 going into the break.

The Bearcats kept their foot on the gas to open the second period. Much like the first, Cincinnati scored the first six goals of the second half to put them up 13-1.

Sophomore midfielder Riley Huda responded with her sixth of the season. Emma Hamilton was then able to score one on herself to cut Cincinnati’s lead with 15:35 remaining in the game.

Cincinnati countered with two goals to kill CMU’s momentum before Hamilton scored her second of the afternoon to beat the final buzzer.

CMU's starting goaltender Dominique Hamman finished with six saves allowing thirteen goals. Her replacement Hope Murray allowed two goals while making two saves. Bearcats goalie Alex MacAffer was rather impressive allowing only four goals while making six saves.

Going forward, better starts must be a point of emphasis for the Chippewas. In all four of their losses CMU failed to score the first goal.

The last two games have been exceptionally rough beginnings for CMU. On top of Sunday afternoon’s early five-goal drought, the Chippewas gave up the first seven goals in their last game verses Virginia Commonwealth.

CMU won’t have to wait long to get the bad taste of a loss out of its mouth. The Chippewas face Gardner-Webb at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.