Football to deploy new offensive system this fall

jab_8176
Offensive Coordinator speaks to members of the press on Mar. 30 in the Indoor Athletic Center. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

Changes on offense are coming for the Central Michigan football team. 

In only their third practice, the Chippewas have a new offensive coordinator, quarterback and offensive system. 

Chris Ostrowsky was hired as the new offensive coordinator last month because of the high-scoring offense he built as the head coach at Northern Michigan. The Wildcats' offense averaged more than 30 points per game last season. 

Ostrowsky has been a head coach, offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach, recruiting coordinator, passing game coordinator and assistant head coach in his career. After graduating with a bachelor's degree from Jersey City State College in 1993, Ostrowsky started coaching at East Side High School in Newark, New Jersey four years later, taking a head coaching job.

CMU head coach John Bonamego inspired Ostrowsky to take the job as the university's offensive coordinator.

"(Bonamego's) culture is a special one and one that I found really attractive," Ostrowsky said. "The history of the program is intangible and it's real. It's an exciting place to be a part of college football."

Known for using the multiple stretch offense that led Northern Michigan to average more than 386 yards per game during the last two seasons, Ostrowsky is hoping to do the same thing at CMU.

Ostrowksy said his high tempo offensive system is meshing well with the players so far. 

"I couldn't ask for any more than our guys are giving right now," Ostrowsky said. "They are learning a new system for sure and a new approach. It has been awesome through three practices thus far.

"I am really pleased with the (quarterbacks') work ethic and ability to embrace the preparation for a new system. All of those guys are competing and doing well right now."

Bonamego praised Ostrowsky for being confident in his system and said he is excited for the "significant changes" that go along with transitioning to a spread offense. 

"We are only under center in very special situations," Bonamego said. "We are primarily in the gun."

Though he wasn't able to discuss Shane Morris — the graduate transfer quarterback from the University of Michigan — Bonamego said as of today, sophomore Tony Poljan is leading the quarterback race with junior Tommy Lazzaro and freshman Austin Hergott at the two and three spots, respectively.

Senior running back Devon Spalding said the quarterbacks are working well with the new offensive system so far. 

"(The system) fits them," Spalding said. "They are great athletes, they can move very well and get out of the pocket."

Whoever earns the starting quarterback job will have some playmaking weapons to use in the new high powered offense. Bonamego and Ostrowsky both said senior tight end Tyler Conklin has emerged as a leader.  

"We talk about getting the ball in the hands of our playmakers a great deal," Bonamego said. "That includes that running back group and also our fairly talented wide receiver group. We have a good number of playmakers on offense when you look at (Corey) Willis, (Mark) Chapman, (Brandon) Childress, (Eric) Cooper and certainly Conklin who has emerged as a significant weapon."

Willis will return for his senior season at CMU as the reigning offensive player of the year. Willis led the team with 71 receptions, 1087 yards and nine touchdowns in the 2016-17 season. 

Conklin ranked third in receptions last season and totaled six touchdowns in 11 starts. 

Bonamego said running back is one of the deepest positions on their team. As a senior, Spalding is taking on a leadership role among the running back group. 

"I try to help (the other running backs) out as much as I can and they help me out too," Spalding said. "Because it is a brand new offense, we are all starting from square one.

"I lead vocally and try to help the younger guys out as much as possible and direct the team in the way that I think is best. I say what I need to say, but I also lead by example as well."

Bonamego said the upcoming Spring Game will be treated as another practice. He described the game as a "dress rehearsal" and said it gives everybody a glimpse of what the team will do in the upcoming season.

The Chippewas' Spring Game is scheduled for April 22 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.