Rush uses Pro Day to showcase talents, defy critics

Head coach John Bonamego gave his former star quarterback Cooper Rush some advice heading into the NFL draft — just get your foot in the door.

Rush participated in the Central Michigan football team's official pro day on Monday. He used it as an opportunity to show off his talents to NFL scouts in preparation for the 2017 NFL Draft. The Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions were in attendance to watch Rush perform.

The draft is scheduled for April 27-29 in Philadelphia.

"(Pro day) is a very important part of the process," Bonamego said. "The first thing scouts are going to look at is game film. In Cooper's case, he's had the benefit of being in an all-star game and also was invited to the combine."

Rush was the only Mid-American Conference quarterback to perform at the NFL Combine this month. The combine is an evaluation event where coaches and scouts are able to watch top prospects show off their talents.

As a former assistant coach in the NFL and Rush's head coach for two seasons at CMU, Bonamego has been one of Rush's go-to people when it comes to receiving advice on how to prepare for the next level.

"Whether you are drafted or undrafted, once you are out there on the field with a team, it's about trying to make the 53-man roster," Rush said. "Once you are in the door you just have to take the opportunity."

Rush finished his career as a Chippewa with 12,894 passing yards, 90 touchdown passes and averaged 257.8 passing yards per game. In his senior year, he was named All Mid-American Conference Third Team and led his team to the Miami Beach Bowl where the Chippwas fell to Tulsa, 55-10.

Though official times were not available at CMU's pro day, Rush posted a 40-yard dash time of 4.93 seconds at the NFL Combine.

"(The NFL Combine) was a good experience,” Rush said. “It felt good being out there with all the other guys. It was great to be on national TV representing CMU."

Rush said his goal was to show more timing on his throws.

"(I wanted to) show off my quickness and twitch in the drops," Rush explained.

This is not the first time Rush has been put under the spotlight this year. Rush also participated the East-West Shrine Game in January.

According to his draft profile on NFL.com, Rush's pro comparison is Dallas Cowboys backup Kellen Moore. The profile says Rush lacks arm strength and doesn't "fit the part" of an NFL quarterback.

Bonamego said he disagreed with the NFL profile. He thinks the Charlotte, Michigan native has the mentality of a professional quarterback.

"(Rush's maturity) is probably one of the biggest assets he has in the fact that he's very intelligent," Bonamego said. "He's able to grasp concepts very quickly. He's extremely competitive and has a great work ethic, so he has the intangibles that I believe give him a leg up. It's going to be something that helps carry him when he goes into the NFL."

Because of his participation in pre-draft events, Rush said he knows he is an NFL quarterback and will wait to see what happens.

"I think I have the tools," he said.

Rush will now visit teams for private workouts before the draft. He said he will be with his family at his brother's graduation at the University of Michigan during the draft.