Rapid Reaction: Michigan 2, Central Michigan 0

047a1182

Sophomore outfielder Allison Curtis hits the ball during the Chippewas game against the University of Michigan on March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

A pitcher’s dual was on display for today’s game against 20 ranked Michigan

Michigan threw two-time reigning Big Ten pitcher of the year Megan Betsa. Betsa came in today with 10 wins and an earned run average (ERA) of 1.45.

Central Michigan sent senior Rachael Knapp to the mound. Knapp also entered with 10 wins, and had an ERA of 1.63.

Betsa wound up winning the dual as Michigan gets a 2-0 win.

Rachael Knapp would pitch all seven innings, allowing two runs on five hits. Betsa would throw a seven inning one-hit shutout.

The first base runner was a second inning walk drew by CMU’s Taylor Lewallen in the second inning. The first run came at the top of the third as Michigan’s Kelly Christner to give the 20 ranked Wolverines an early 1-0 lead.

Central Michigan threatened in the fourth with a single by Allison Curtis and a fielder’s choice by designated hitter Maison Kalina. Michigan would respond with three consecutive outs, leaving CMU scoreless after four innings.

Michigan would score in the fifth on a ground ball sneaking under second baseman Rachel Vieira. Michigan would threaten again with runners on first and second, but would leave the runners stranded as Knapp would get two big outs to keep the damage at one run for the inning.

Michigan would also threaten in the seventh, but would leave the bases loaded to end the seventh.

Softball will be back in action for a home game against Kent State this Friday at 3 p.m.