Softball earns bounce-back win in extra innings against Penn

CLEARWATER, FL — Following a setback loss against Georgia after a seven game win streak, Central Michigan softball bounced back on Tuesday with a 7-5 win against Ivy League opponent Penn. 

"We needed to set the tone but we didn't play real sharp," said head Coach Margo Jonker. "We had a lot of defensive miscues in that game but we really fought, so that's the great thing about that game."

Starting sophomore pitcher Laura Vaccaro was solid through four innings before the wheels fell off in the middle of the fourth. In her 4.2 innings of work, the Saline native recorded three strikeouts and gave up three runs along with six hits, one walk and one error before being relieved by junior Taylor Weaver.

Senior pitcher Rachael Knapp closed out the game for the Chippewas in the last two innings and one extra inning to seal the win for CMU. In three innings, Knapp threw for seven strikeouts and moves up to no. 15 in the nation for strikeouts with 83 on the season.

"There's a sense of comfort knowing how great of a pitcher she is," Jonker said.

Junior Lacey Tolfree went 4-4 at the plate against Penn in the lead-off position, with three singles along with a ground roll double. Additionally, Tolfree scored three of CMU's 7 runs.

"Any time you have a lead-off hitter, you really need them to come through to get on base and to score runs and that's what she did," Jonker said.

The Chippewas will play Butler at 11 a.m. tomorrow in Clearwater.