Police respond to overdose, arrest drunk driver

During spring break, the Mount Pleasant Police Department found a runaway girl and arrested a woman as she attempted to steal bar stools from O’Kelly’s Sports Bar and Grille.

Feb. 20

• A 54-year-old man said two men, ages 18 and 19, were threatening to kill him with a gun after an incident that happened while the two parties were driving. Officers were dispatched at approximately 2:15 p.m. to Lot 42. Central Michigan University Police did not find any weapons and no arrests or charges were made.

Feb. 21

• An 18-year-old and 19-year-old women roomates at Sweeney Hall received concerning Facebook messages from an 18-year-old man who is not a CMU student. CMUPD did not take any action but are aware of the situation.
  • CMUPD were contacted by a 19-year-old woman student concerned with statements made by the father of her former roommate. According to the police report, the 54-year-old parent was helping his daughter move out of the dorm because she had disagreements with the complainant. No threatening statements were made, but the father was upset that her daughter’s former roommate had been picking on her. No arrests or charges were made.
  • A burglary occurred at the Wesley Foundation Student Center at approximately 11:59 p.m. The suspect entered the building without force and damaged property inside. The investigation remains open.

Feb. 22

• A 21-year-old man accused a 20-year-old woman of using a stolen parking permit valued at $150. Officers spoke to the two individuals, and the woman said the man had given the parking permit to her. He denied the claim, saying she stole it from him. The situation was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.
  • A subject reported that the outside mirror of his vehicle had been damaged. According to the report, the incident occurred sometime between Feb. 20 and Feb. 22. The value of the damage is $300. No suspect has been identified.

Feb. 23

• Officers responded to a domestic assault incident at approximately 3:10 a.m. in Campbell Hall. A 21-year-old man reported that his partner, a 24-year-old non-student man, assaulted him in the hall. The older man does not live in Mount Pleasant and was arrested.
  • A 57-year-old woman was bitten by a dog in Anspach Hall. According to the report, the dog was owned by a 19-year-old woman living in the Towers and was thus violating university policy. CMUPD took the dog to Isabella County Animal Control, and the animal was subsequently taken to the pound.
  • Officers responded to an 18-year-old subject who said his wallet was stolen at the Student Activity Center sometime before 11 a.m. After reviewing surveillance, officers were able to identify a subject, a 21-year-old woman, who stole the wallet. She admitted to stealing the wallet, which contained $65. She was arrested for theft.

Feb. 24

• An inflatable palm tree was stolen from a university event held at the Bovee University Center. A 21-year-old woman admitted to committing the theft and the item was returned. She was not arrested, and the owner did not press charges

Feb. 25

• A 19-year-old man admitted to having marijuana in his Beddow Hall dorm room. Officers confiscated eight grams of marijuana, smoking pipes and rolling papers. The incident has been turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Feb. 27

• A 19-year-old man reported that his Xbox One gaming console and five games were stolen from his dorm room in Carrie Hall. The value of the stolen items is reported to be $540. No suspect has been identified.
  • A domestic violence issue occurred at the 7-11 convenience store at 302 W Broomfield St. Officers determined that a 19-year-old woman struck an 18-year-old man, who were in a domestic relationship together. She was arrested for non-aggravated assault.
  • CMUPD confiscated less than a gram of marijuana wax as well as a 30 case of beer in a Calkins Hall dorm room. Two 19-year-old men were in the room at the time, one said he had a medical marijuana card and had recently smoked off campus. The incident was sent to the prosecutor’s office and the Office of Student Conduct.

March 3

• A 20-year-old man was arrested after an officer saw a vehicle crossing the center line on Washington Street near Ojibway Court. Although a field sobriety test was given, the driver did not consent to a breathalyzer or a blood test.
  • March 4
  • CMUPD were notified that somebody had been passing bad checks to pay on a student’s account. According to Lt. Wassman, the identified suspect has accumulated $9,000 in bad checks. Police have identified the suspect, and the investigation remains open.

The following comes from the Mount Pleasant Police Department crime log.

March 4

• Mount Pleasant resident Anthony Towns was found unresponsive in a house on Arthur Road. The 43-year-old man was found in the bathroom with a needle and spoon nearby. Officers administered NARCAN which proved ineffective. MMR attempted to revive the man and were unable to do so. MPPD are awaiting the results of a toxicology report to determine if the cause of death was drug-related.

March 5

• A 14-year-old Mount Pleasant girl ran away following an argument with her mother. She was found later that day.

March 6

• A 31-year-old Mount Pleasant woman reported that her Samsung Tablet was stolen from her home at the 1400 block of South Lyon Street. She didn’t report a breaking and entering and said she couldn’t find the tablet. Police checked local pawn shops and various other outlets. No suspect has been identified.

March 7

• A 47-year-old Mount Pleasant woman admitted to stealing two packages of diapers and five packages of soft drinks from a local grocery store when officers arrived at her home at 1300 block of South Mission Street. She was charged with retail fraud.

March 8

• A 22-year-old Clarkston woman was arrested outside O’Kelly’s Sports Bar and Grille sometime between 1:30 and 2 a.m. after an officer witnessed her loading bar stools into her car. The officer stopped the woman as she started driving away and she registered a 0.23 blood alcohol content. She was taken to Isabella County jail and charged with operating while intoxicated.

March 9

• A 20-year-old Mount Pleasant woman was arrested on a charge of driving with a restricted license, failure to change her address on license, minor in possession of alcohol and disregarding a flashing red light. Her arraignment will occur April 19.