Baseball falls to Kent State in extra innings

After fighting back to take the lead in late innings, the Central Michigan baseball team couldn't hold on in extra innings in a 6-5 loss to Kent State.

Before this weekend, Kent State and Central Michigan were tied for first in the Mid-American Conference. Taking only one of the three-game series against Kent State, CMU moves to second the MAC. CMU's record falls to 23-20 on the year and 11-4 in conference play. 

Scoring Summary

KSU scored runs in the second, third and fifth innings to take a four-run lead heading into the sixth inning.

Junior Daniel Jipping hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning, driving in Daniel Robinson and giving the Chippewas their first score. 

In the seventh inning, Jason Sullivan hit another two-run homer to tie the game at four. 

After getting in an argument with the umpire, CMU head coach Steve Jaksa was ejected from the game.

Then, Robert Greenman's long single scored Robinson to take the lead in the seventh inning.

KSU waited until the ninth inning to score the tying run and force extra innings. 

In the tenth inning, Kent State loaded the bases and scored the winning run on a sacrifice fly.

Pitching Summary

Pat Leatherman started the game on the hill for the Chippewas. After a scoreless first inning, Leatherman gave up four runs lasting four and two third innings. He faced 20 batters and recorded two strikeouts in 69 pitches.

With one out left in the fifth inning, Jordan Grosjean replaced Leatherman on the mound for one inning. Grosjean was replaced by Zach Kohn who pitched one scoreless inning.

Closer Colton Bradley entered the game with two outs left in the eighth inning and bases loaded. He escaped the inning unscathed. 

Bradley allowed one run in the ninth to force extra innings and walked two batters in the tenth inning to help KSU load the bases.

What's Next

The Chippewas take on Northern Illinois in a three-game series starting on Friday, May 5 at 3:05 p.m. in Theunissen Stadium.