Gymnastics' Pedrick and Clements place 29th, 33rd at NCAA Championships.

An up and down season came to an end Friday night for the Central Michigan gymnastics team as the Chippewas sent two gymnasts to the NCAA Championships at the Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis, Missouri.

On Friday, freshman Denelle Pedrick and junior captain Katy Clements became the first Chippewas to participate at nationals since 2004. Pedrick would participate on vault and Clements on balance beam.

Pedrick earned a score of 9.8375 out of 10 on vault. That would be good enough for the Wilcox, Saskatchewan, Canada native to place 29th out of a possible 86 places.

Clements would score a 9.8625 out of 10 on the balance beam. The score earned her a 33rd place finish out of a possible 87 places for the Gainesville, Georgia native.

The vault title was claimed by Kennedi Edney from Louisiana State University. Edney would score a 9.9875.

The balance beam title was won by former olympic champion in 2012, Kyla Ross of UCLA. Ross scored a 9.9625 on the balance beam.

"Both performances were very good I felt," said head coach Jerry Reighard, "They weren't far off the podium. It took a 9.9 to make the podium."

The Chippewas will look to build off the NCAA Championship appearances as both Pedrick and Clements will return to the team next year. Pedrick for her sophomore season and Clements for her senior campaign.

Reighard said the NCAA Championship experience will only help the Chippewas next season.

"I feel a tremendous amount of growth (is) heading (into next season) for them," Reighard said. " This experience is going to be very beneficial to our team."