Greeks to perform song and dance routines at Mock Rock

thorpe_mock_rock

Thorpe Hall performs their 'Spiderman' themed Mock Rock on Oct. 7 in Warriner Hall. 

Central Michigan University’s 2017 annual Greek Week will conclude on Friday with Mock Rock, a celebratory concert open to the entire Mount Pleasant community.

Clinton Township senior and Beta Theta Pi Greek Week Chairman David Wong called Mock Rock the Greek Week “Super Bowl.”

Because it’s the only event of the week open to the public and is intended to be an entertaining celebration, Wong said Mock Rock is highly anticipated by the entire community.

Mock Rock check-in will be at 5 p.m. for participants and the event will begin at 6 p.m. on April 7 at McGuirk Arena. Tickets for the event are $5 and can be purchased from CMU Greek members or at the event.

This year, funds raised during Greek Week will be donated to the Isabella Child Advocacy Center and the Kristy Malter Memorial Fund. Malter was a sorority sister of Alpha Gamma Delta who died over the summer from bacterial meningitis.

“We’re dedicating this year’s Mock Rock to Kristy Malter,” said Macomb junior Alexis Carlson, a Greek Week chairwoman and member of Alpha Sigma Tau.

To honor Malter’s memory, Carlson said the concert is officially titled “The Kristy Malter Memorial Greek Week Mock Rock.”

At the event, the 11 Greek Week teams will each perform a song and dance routine they choreographed with their team throughout the week. The teams were restricted to creating their performances in one week.

Acts are designed to fit the specified Mock Rock theme every year. For this year’s “Key Words” theme, each team will choose one word, such as “love,” “wind” and “fire,” to base its performance around.

Mock Rock celebrates the fundraising successes the Greeks achieved during Greek Week. At the event, the Greek Week co-chairs will announce the total amount of money raised toward the philanthropies, and present the donations to them.