Pro-refugee RSO to host panel discussion in Park Library

logo

Panelists and students this week will discuss the refugee crisis in the U.S. and abroad.

A registered student organization called Student Advocates for Forced Migrants plans to host a panel discussion titled “Finding Home.” The event will take place from 7-9 p.m. on Thursday, April 13 in the Park Library Auditorium.

Graduate student Mallory Walton, an adviser of SAFM, said the goal of the panel is to not only educate the audience, but to allow an open atmosphere where the can ask questions and not feel like they’re being judged.

SAFM wants the event to mimic a Speak Up, Speak Out forum because the group believes the model to be widely successful addressing audience member questions — controversial or otherwise.

“It’s good to bring in those people who don’t necessarily know the details so they can ask the questions and we can dispel any rumors or false stories,” Walton said.

SAFM hopes to draw in a large crowd and hopes to educate, clear up any confusion and establish how serious the refugee crisis is through this event.

“When I came to Central Michigan University in 2011, there was not a single person talking about refugees,” said Dr. Prakash Adhikari, an adviser of the RSO who holds a doctorate in forced migration. “I took it as a personal challenge. If we did not do this, I’d feel as if I was failing my duty.”