Baseball announces date for annual banquet, hopes to earn spot in NCAA Tournament

Individual achievements, a Mid-American Conference West Division title and possibly an NCAA Tournament berth will be celebrated at this year’s Central Michigan baseball banquet.

The team recently announced the banquet was scheduled for Tuesday, May 30, at 6:30 p.m. in the Bovee University Center.

Head coach Steve Jaksa said the banquet is special because it brings teammates and family members together to reflect on another completed journey.

“We try to recognize guys for things they do during the season,” he said. “We try to make sure we recognize individual people. But for us as a team it’s a team celebration. It’s one more time to get together with family.”

The Chippewas (28-23,15-6 MAC) currently hold a three-game lead in the West Division and have earned at least a share of its second title in three seasons. CMU only needs to win one game of its three-game series against Ball State — starting Thursday — to win the title outright. The team is two games back of Kent State for first place overall.

Jaksa, however, said the team has its sights set on much larger goals for the end of its 2017 campaign. 

“Our ultimate goal is to head to a (NCAA Tournament) regional as soon as the banquet is over," he said. "Our goal is to head to the round of 64. We hope the banquet is a celebration between the end of our regular season and our postseason."

For the Chippewas to earn a spot in their first NCAA Tournament since 1995, they must win the MAC Tournament, which begins on May 24 in Avon, Ohio.

Awards

Awards given out at the annual banquet include: Team MVP, team captain, most improved player and the Chippewa award — given to the player who most represents the team’s mission statement.

Senior Alex Borglin shared the MVP award last season with shortstop Zach McKinstry, who was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers and currently plays for the Great Lakes Loons in Midland. 

The banquet is $20 per person to attend and includes dinner, dessert and beverages. Parents, fans and program supporters are asked to RSVP by 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 24.

To reserve your spot, contact assistant coach Tyler McFarland at mcfar1tj@cmich.edu or 989-774-1484.